Friday 27 May 2016

Meeting Rodrigo in bed



Whenever I hear Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez, my first thought is ‘frost’.

I remember well that morning, when the bedroom window was icy on the inside, patterned like frozen lace curtains. We huddled so close, our exhalations formed one cloud.

He was a guitarist, Spanish, a part-time announcer on student radio, with regular Tuesday and Thursday evening shows spinning classical, folk, flamenco, bluegrass – any music, as long as it was guitar. I was 18. I met him in a bar. He was playing, I was drinking.  I took him home a few times. He wasn’t a come-and-meet-mother kind of boy, but he was fun. And beautiful.

That Sunday morning he woke when it was still-dark early to cover an extra shift. He stretched, the movement of his arms lifting the duvet enough to admit a stream of cold air. I protested and moved closer.

“Uh-uh, time to go, Chiquita.”

I heard gasps as he dressed quickly, finally pulling on an Aztec-style jacket, shades of pink and terracotta like the colour of his hometown rooftops.

“Put your radio on, and listen – promise? I’ll take you somewhere warm.” 

And with that he was gone. Or was he? His heat was still in the bed, the pillow carrying a head-shaped hollow when he spoke again, as close as a lover yet radio-remote.

“It’s lethal outside, so stay in bed. Here’s a gentle start for you, Amorcito.”

Then it began. The guitar concerto’s second movement – you will know it, I guarantee. Except then, I didn’t.  Languorous guitar strums and the gentle plaintive melody warmed the ice in my bones. The air became magnolia-perfumed and the frost on the window melted. I cried, without knowing why.

Whenever I hear Rodrigo, my lasting feeling is joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment