Tuesday 26 July 2016

Equals



Headmaster Cid Leon was standing when she entered, watching the grounds through frameless glasses and the large window of his bright office. Shadows danced and flitted over his serious face, a cherry blossom outside being bothered by a breeze.

”Miss Paine, thank you for coming.” 

Selphie clasped his outstretched hand firmly. ”My pleasure. Thanks for your time.” 

He waved her to a seat. ”Please.”

She sat, and proceeded with her canned obligatory passion piece for students, their continued learning opportunities, and her desire to aid their successes as Dean of Admissions. 

Mr Leon looked pleased with her answers, she thought. But his eyes don’t sparkle with that decisive, ’hired’ intensity.

”There is one further question we prefer to ask candidates in person. I trust you were comfortable with our Equal Opportunity questionnaire during your application?”

Selphie folded her arms loosely. ”Sure.”

”Are you… or do you remain…” Cid leaned forward slightly, ”…your natural-born gender?”

Selphie was startled. ”Excuse me?” Do I take offense at that? I’m not sure, she thought. ”I’m a woman and always have been, if that’s what you’re asking me…”

”I see.” Cid was chewing his words. ”You have a strong application, but the board feels that, as an institution, we must do more to represent the transgender community on our payroll.” He laced his fingers together and smiled curtly. ”It’s much like what happened for ladies in the 2000s.”

Unbelievable. ”I’m not sure if women’s liberation fits under your umbrella of minority affirmative action, Mr Leon.” Selphie was seething. ”You’re suggesting that if I had once had a cock between my legs my skills might suddenly be more relevant?”

”It’s simply a matter of encouraging diversity.” Cid was unfazed by her candour.

”Funny line between diversity and discrimination.” Selphie stood. ”You’ll be hearing from me.”


Brendan McBryde


No comments:

Post a Comment