Thursday 25 August 2016

1951 small talk

"Cup of tea George."  George is reading the paper.

"Not at the moment.”

"Have you seen the cat this morning?"

"Yes. He is around somewhere."

"It's such a nice day. We should both get out and tidy the garden. Stake the dahlias maybe. What are you going to do?"

"Not sure yet, one of the boy's shoes needs attention."

"I heard from Molly yesterday."

"What did she have to say?"

"Nothing really. She wanted to know what we've been up to."

"Fine. What's in the paper?"

”Nothing much. Pat Walsh and Jock Barnes don't seem to agree on much, these days. If they are not careful, they will play right into Sid Holland's hands."

"Jock wants every union to down tools in support of the Waterfront Workers Union. Pat doesn't seem keen."

"Oh there you are Puss. Pass the knife George." Ciss starts cutting up the cat's meat. "Does that mean you will go on strike at some stage?"

"I don't know, I doubt it. A lot of water to go under the bridge before railwaymen get involved. What with Korea. I see the Aussies have suffered casualties.”

"Well we will have junket for pudding tonight, use up yesterday’s milk.  I may as well do that now. Where are the boys? I could do with some more kindling."

"Here is another bit in the paper. They are working on a vaccine for polio. That's got to be good news."

"I am looking forward to an electric range when we shift. I'll miss the coal range though.  How many concrete blocks have you made? Mores the point, how many have you still got to make?"

"I got more cement yesterday. Another batch today." Puts paper down. "I will have a count up next time I am over at the section." And went outside and started the concrete mixer.

Grant Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment