Thursday 25 August 2016

Ding

Looking in the mirror she fiddled with the sequinned top one last time, tugging it down over her hips. Smudge the eye make up just a little bit – smokey. Better…. reapply the gloss…. OK. Here we go.

“It’s all small talk,” she was told. “A breeze!”

She walked into the room, keenly aware she wasn’t as pretty or as young as any of the other women.  Utterly ridiculous, she thought. What the hell am I doing here.

“OK everyone, take your seats. Remember ladies, it’s your choice. If you don’t like them it’s OK. No commitments here…just an evening of meeting people.”

She sat down at the table and a bell rang.  A handsome man about her age sat down in front of her.  Maybe this wasn’t so bad after all!

“Hi.”

“Hi. ”

“I’ve just done something terrible.”

“Excuse me??”

“I'm sorry, I’ve just got to tell someone – I’m going insane with guilt. I didn’t mean to, it all happened so fast…he was attacking my wife for god’s sakes, what was I supposed to do? I mean, that’s why we carry guns right, for things like this? But I’ve been so guilty ever since and you look like a nice person, I just have to tell someone.  I’m sorry…”

DING!

“Time’s up gentlemen….please move on….”

“Hey Babe. Wanna get together after this? You are super hot. I’ve just been divorced and boy am I ready for action….looks like you could use some too. Just divorced yourself? Whaddya say. Wanna hook up?"

“I, uh….I don’t….uh….pardon?”

DING!

“Hi. Man I hate this. I mean, I’ve been doing this for about five years now and have never had any luck. You? It’s crazy right? Or is it just me. I mean, what’s so wrong with me that no one wants to go out with me? Can you tell me that? What’s WRONG with me???”

“I, ah…nothing! I don’t think…”

DING.

“Hi.. “

Pause.

Blue eyes. Crinkly at the corners.

Gentle smile.

“Hi.”

“Nice weather, don’t you think?”

“Yes.” She smiled. “Very.”

Jasmin Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment